True Preparedness

"If I just get this done, then I will be able to relax."

This is the lie I tell myself (or listen to Satan telling me) often.  Just be more organized and get more done - then I will "feel" better and less anxious about the many open ended circumstances in my life.

After spending 3 days in the desert (and after multiple eye witness accounts of God doing amazing and astonishing miracles), God brought food and water to the Israelites.  God promised that He was going to bring the food daily, and that the people should only store up enough for that day - unless it was the 6th day; then they could store up enough for 2 days so they could rest on the following day (the Sabbath).  But...

"It came about on the seventh day that some of the people went out to gather,
but they found none." Exodus 16:27

Hmmm... I guess God does what He says He will do.

"Then the Lord said to Moses, 'How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My instructions?  See the Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you bread for two days on the sixth day..." Exodus 16:28-29

I would definitely have been the person trying to store the food overnight, and I would have gone to see if I could gather some more on the Sabbath just in case I didn't store enough on the 6th day.

When I read about the Israelites doing this - they sound so goofy, but when I do it, I feel like I can totally justify it - as if it makes sense that I can somehow be more prepared and organized than the creator of the universe.

There is nothing wrong with working hard, being organized, and saving for the future.  The problem is when I put my security and peace in these things.  God alone has the knowledge of the future and has the ability to prepare me for the days to come.

God had prepared the Promised Land for the Israelites - so He was not going to make it impossible for them to get there - but His plan didn't match theirs.  That's where I start getting antsy as well - if something doesn't appear to be going the direction I think it should, then... Augh!

Organizing and saving never solves the real issues of my heart.  It is only when I lay it at the feet of the God that has proven Himself to me over and over that I experience true peace and joy.  As I submit myself to His will and His way, I often find that He gives me insights into ways to get prepared - and then I'm truly prepared.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living the promises

Pursuing the Illogical

Co-existance of Joy and Grief