Stinky Feet

Reading: Genesis 50:12-21 
Prayer: Lord, stir our hearts for what stirs Yours. Restore the relationships we have damaged, and teach us to be leaders of reconciliation.
Daily Challenge: What prejudices are in your heart?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Our house is almost constantly filled with a neighborhood of boys.  It is the type of chaos that wonderful childhood memories are made of... They have created the "Club of Fun" in which there are scheduled daily activities that include playing board games, light saber fights, Nerf gun wars, etc.  It's pretty obvious that they don't stick to their scheduled events as one crazy activity leads to another.

It creates a hustle and bustle that I am thankful for, but there are some realities of it that can be a bit daunting.  There are a few boys in particular that are the "bulls in the china closet" - their feet stink (seriously... it is pretty bad), the mess they leave behind in my bathroom is unthinkable, and there is almost always something on their feet that leaves streaks of some sort across my floor.  If we aren't looking - they are the ones that want to throw the ball in the house, and lying is a routine part of their conversations.  They respect very clear expectations we set, therefore, they have been allowed to keep coming back, and the truth is that some of the things that "irk" me are not character issues (stinky feet).

The Senior Pastor at Highland Park Christian Church, Brian Jennings, provided a very powerful lesson on reconciliation last Sunday.  It seems that we should somehow now be in a nation where racism and other prejudices don't exist, but it does.  As I listened to the sermon, I just wanted to get up and scream, "Come on church family!  Let's do this together... Let's be the ones to stand up for reconciliation in our neighborhoods, nation and world!".  I had thoughts of reconciliation for those that I grew up with that were and are still in poverty - hating those "with money" assuming none of them have worked for it, and I had thoughts of reconciliation for some that I work with and live around today that believe people "without money" have all chosen that life and are lazy.

"What can I do?" I prayed to God as I sat there.

The response - "Love [the two boys from your neighborhood]."

What???

These two boys are not a different race than me; their family is likely similar income bracket since we live in the same neighborhood.  When I asked God the question, I was looking for something "big"... something that is news breaking and can change the world, and He simply asked me to love these boys?

As I thought about His response more - I thought about the message we give our son as he senses our frustration over these boys.  We have sent Reese mixed signals because we have shown him how to deeply love and serve "the down and out", sacrifice for God and others, and that there is grace for those who are willing to confess sins and weaknesses - yet we have no grace or tolerance for the boys in our neighborhood?  Don't get me wrong - we have been kind to these boys, but my heart has not liked it.

"4 ingredients for reconciliation" by Brian Jennings:
  1. Be quick to admit wrong doings.
  2. Avoid God's chair.
  3. Take God's view.
  4. Repay evil with practical affection.
How arrogant of me to think that these boys are not "as good" as us due to their unruly habits.  I am praying today for God's view on these boys - that I will see them as He sees them, and that I will develop a heart that loves them unconditionally.  Currently, if they tell lies or do something they shouldn't, I will confront them so that they don't have a negative impact on my son, but, my prayer is that, rather than confronting out of defensiveness, I will confront with love and grace for their well-being, not just the well-being of my own son. 

When I consider providing "practical affection" to these boys, the opportunities are endless.  I have subconsciously been avoiding such practical affections thinking that if I don't make them too comfortable, then they will not want to stay as long.

These are honest confessions that I have made today, and it seems so ridiculous.  I am not proud of this, but I did want to share it because I believe it is this type of arrogance that snowballs into all sorts of prejudices that can get passed down and exploded from one generation to another if it is not brought into the "Light".

I don't believe this is all God has in store for me in regards to being a part of the "reconciliation" movement, but I will start here and allow Him to continue to lead the way for my family and me.  This one change in my heart isn't likely to change the world, but it will honor God by honoring His children, and it will teach my boys that all people have amazing value - stinky feet and all.

What are the prejudices residing within your heart?  Please share with me so that I can pray with you as your journey of reconciliation begins.

 Access Brian Jennings' sermon here - "Can the Church Bring About Reconciliation?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living the promises

Pursuing the Illogical

Co-existance of Joy and Grief