This Old Photo Album...


The church leadership recently announced that we would be studying the Psalms together.  About 2 years ago, when our son Elliot was stillborn and a few months later my mother passed away, the Psalms played such a significant role in strengthening my relationship with the Lord rather than simply wallowing in self-pity.  Now that so much fog has lifted from my day to day life, studying the Psalms with my church family is much like looking back through an old photo album.  It is filled with much emotion but a richness that only life's experiences with God's presence can produce.

The book is filled with prayers of worship, confession, lament, requests (supplication) and praise.  

Worship
The Psalms of worship were perfect because in my deep grieving – there were times that, even though I knew God was mighty, loving, and was my ultimate refuge – I had difficulty coming up with my own words, so I simply would read/pray the Psalms to Him for my time of worship.

Confession
The Psalms of confession and repentance helped me to acknowledge my part in unjustified resentments and anger I sometimes felt and wanted to react upon.  

Lament
The Psalms where the writer is crying out in such deep anguish, pleading for relief from the pains of this life helped me to realize that I wasn't a “bad” Christian for feeling such sorrow.  Many in our society would have us believe that if we feel sad then we must not have our eyes on the Lord, when, in fact, the Bible is filled with those in deep sorrow.  It's what we do with our tears that matter.  In this case, the Psalms were a wonderful reminder that I could only gain strength from my pain and weakness by pouring them out to my Heavenly Father.  

Supplication
The Psalms of supplication gave me courage to continually ask of God – nothing was too much for Him.  There were many days that I had to ask God for each breath as I felt I was drowning.  I felt so selfish because I could only think of myself and my pain.  Though I had always been self-sufficient (or so I thought), all of a sudden I was so needy. 

Praise
The Psalms of praise reminded me of God's faithfulness.  There really was no reason for me to put off praising Him until I felt better or until life was "good" because the reality is that God has proven to me over and over that He is at work for my good even if I don't see it until 10 years down the road.  Therefore, I praised God in the moment for all He had done, all He was doing, and all He was going to do in the future.  He is good.

"When You said, 'Seek My face,' my heart said to You, 'Your face, O Lord, I shall seek.'" 
Psalm 27:8

Today, I am so thankful that the Lord gave me ears to hear His call to seek His face during my season of deep grief.  I continue to receive healing in my soul.  I'm thankful for the richness we have as a family and in my relationship with the Lord, friends and family. 

What grief or difficulties are you facing today?  Can I pray with you?  May you too be encouraged by the living Word.  When you fill overwhelmed and as if you have nothing left to give, say or do... will you please turn to the Psalms? 

*Would you like to study the Psalms with us?  Go here for audio of the sermons on Psalm.

*If you are hurting and need some place to turn, find a Celebrate Recovery ministry near you.  If you are in the Tulsa area, also consider contacting Home Improvement Ministry for Christian counseling and services.  You are not alone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living the promises

Pursuing the Illogical

Co-existance of Joy and Grief