The Free Xbox

My 7 year old son Reese recently landed a pretty sweet deal on an Xbox 360.  He had been saving for quite some time, and he was just a few dollars shy of being able to buy a used system plus 1 controller - not even enough money to buy any games just yet.  While at a friend's house a few weeks ago, a young TU student heard Reese discussing his saving efforts for the system.  The student told Reese that he recently got a newer style system, and never plays his Xbox 360 any longer.  In the end, he GAVE his Xbox, 3 controllers, and a few games to Reese. 

To say that Reese was elated would be an understatement.  After receiving the system, every word that came out of Reese's mouth was about the game.  Questions, thoughts, dreams...  all about the game.

Then, just after reading our Bible and saying our prayers one evening, my 7 year old said one of the most profound things.

"Mom, sometimes when I have stuff that I really like, I don't even care about God anymore - and I don't like that about myself."

I wanted to clarify, "Do you mean, that when you have something you like, you just don't think about God as much... maybe He is not your first thought?"

"No, I mean I really don't even care about God - I stop thinking about him at all."

We talked about it and prayed about it together.  Ultimately, I think he realized that even while we were reading our Bible together and praying - the whole time he was just thinking about his Xbox rather than what we were doing together.

I have given much thought about my son's words since that evening, and I've also considered how many times have I been given a gift by my creator - to then focus only on the gift rather than the one who gave it.  When a gift becomes my ultimate focus and care, then it is no longer a gift.  It sometimes becomes an idol.

In the book of Exodus, God had given the Israelites the gift of freedom, yet, they can't seem to accept the gift for what it is.  They continually lose sight of the God who rescued them.  In Chapter 33, God was ready to destroy them because of their behavior, but Moses pleads with God, and God agrees to let them continue their journey.

It is what Moses does next that is so wise.  Even though Moses got from God what he asked - it wasn't enough... continuing on this journey would only be successful with God's presence.

"If Your presence does not go with us, do not lead us up from here.  For how then can it be known that I have found favor in Your sight...? (v15-16)

Moses confirms with God multiple times that He will be with them, and God does indeed agree to going with them.

No adventure, no gift, no "stuff" amounts to anything in my life whenever God does not come first.  How is it that person with 100 friends and family near by can feel lonely?  I believe it is because sometimes when we get what we want, we "don't even care about God" anymore - as my son stated.  The hole in our heart was designed to be filled by this one thing and nothing else.

I have been in the pits of grief, guilt, and fear at different points in my life, but now that life is "good" - it will easily become stale and worthless without following the whispers of my Savior.  Today, on a day that life is good - I want to give praise, honor and glory to the one that has carried me through much more than I should have survived, and I want to shout His glory from the rooftops.



Thank you, Reese, for your openness and honesty.  It challenged me to remember God when things are going my way.  You are an amazing boy that is growing stronger each day in your own faith.  Thank you for the little man that you are and are becoming.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living the promises

Pursuing the Illogical

Co-existance of Joy and Grief