I Am Not Ashamed.

This story is not necessarily for younger readers.

I enjoy airplane rides.  It is still mesmerizing to me that such a giant piece of machinery can get off the ground and stay afloat.  If the person sitting next to me wants to talk - I will definitely talk.  If they are quiet, I love to just snuggle into a good book.

This was rather full on a very small plane.  I was in the window seat waiting to see who would be sitting next to me.  As others piled onto the plane, I got a whiff of alcohol, and as the gentleman sat next to me I was quickly able to determine where the smell had originated.

His name was Travis.  He was a young CPA who had missed his previous flight while in the bar, so he, instead, had to take this flight.  It appeared that he probably spent the remainder of the time between the two flights in the bar as well.

Travis was loud, vulgar and bitter.  Before take off, he began speaking loudly about his displeasure that it was taking us so long to take off.  "Pilots are 'f-ing' idiots these days," he said over and over.  He wasn't speaking directly to me, so I simply tried not to engage with him.  The vulgarities continued.

I started to read my e-reader, but shortly after take off he was bothered by my lack of interest in him.  He placed his head between my eyes and directly over my e-reader.

"Is there something you would like me to read to you?" I asked.

"I just want to see what's on this page?  What are you reading?  I can't see the title."

"It's a book about adoption.  Our family is adopting a little boy."  I assumed that bringing up something as beautiful as adoption was the least controversial thing we could discuss.

"That's wonderful!" He exclaimed. "At least you're not one of those 'f-ing' idiots trying to adopt from China or Africa.  It's all those 'f-ing' Christians... they are a bunch of cultist.  What kind of idiot would believe in a virgin birth anyway?"  So the rant began.  He unknowingly poured negativity on everything I stand for.

I sat speechless for a while, again hoping that my silence would disengage him, but it did not.  I began to notice the people in the seats around us holding their ears.  The attendants did not confront his behavior (in which I'm thankful because I believe it may have set him off).  I prayed, "God please give me wisdom, grace and patience with this man."

I decided to guide the conversation a bit.  "Well, what do you believe?" I chimed in.

"Darwinism of course."

"So where did you come from?"  This question led to a series of expletives describing sex between one human with another, one salamander with another, and so on.  "Okay, I understand that, but where did the first 'being' come from?"

"A single-celled organism."

"Where did that come from?"

"The big-bang."

"Where did that come from?"

"It was a bunch of chemicals that, by coincidence, came together to create something."

"Where did all the chemicals come from?"

Silence.

"Hey Travis; I don't expect you to have all the answers.  I just know that even though the creation story sounds crazy - every story ever suggested for the beginning of this world sounds crazy and inevitably leads to the need for a supernatural intervention.  If that's the case, then creationism really doesn't seem so crazy."

"Did you even go to college?" he asked.  Hmmm... I guess my comment made me sound uneducated?  "Nobody can prove that story about Jesus.  Who even wrote those stories?  It was passed down from generation to generation, and I'm sure a bunch of stuff got screwed up.  Plus it is just a list of rules to throw in peoples' faces."

My heart is aching - what has this man experienced?  How many "Pharisees" has he encountered?

"In this moment, I can't and don't want to prove to you that it is all true, but I do want to share my experience with you because that I know for certain."  As Travis listened, I explained that I was about as broken as they come with a history of abuse, abortion, promiscuity, our season of loss - including the loss of our son... all of that and I have peace - no bitterness; doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, but we are thriving.  I was not thrown out by my Heavenly Father.  I was embraced, loved and restored.

I, in return, got the "that's nice for you" speech.  Then a bit more silence.

As we landed, I said, "Travis, I'm sorry for whatever you've experienced.  I find it so ironic that the thing Jesus got most angry about were people who were stuck on the details of upholding the law without really accepting Christ and doing it in love - He was about pursuing and engaging with the most seemingly unacceptable people - yet many people today have this idea that Jesus is all about rules.  Travis - if love is not what you have encountered from those considering themselves Christians, please don't blame it on God.  Please pursue the true God and see what He truly has for you."

He ended with "it's been nice to talk with you."  I don't know if he really thought that.  This was one of the most forthright conversations I've ever had with anyone, and he may not have remembered it the next day.

Why?  Why did I engage with someone in that state of mind?  Did it even matter?  I walked away feeling like a fool of sorts... questioning every word I said - even wondering what the people in the seats around us really heard from our conversation.  This was a hard conversation.

If you are reading this and are not a Christian - please don't just get angry at me for sharing the Christ story.  You have to know that it is the MOST loving thing I can truly do for someone if I really believe the Jesus story myself.  I do; I believe it with all my heart, and I hope my actions show the values He preached rather than legalism.  I want to share in the joy, peace and eternal life I have received

"I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and foolish.  So,... I am eager to preach the Gospel to you... For I am not ashamed, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes..."  Romans 1:16  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living the promises

Pursuing the Illogical

Co-existance of Joy and Grief